St. Joseph Hospital is the only hospital on the North Coast staffed and
equipped to provide advanced care for patients with a broad spectrum of
neurological and neurosurgical conditions. We provide a full spectrum
of advanced services for patients with strokes, traumatic brain injury,
open surgery and radio surgery for treatment of brain tumors, and treatment
of all spinal conditions including disc herniations and minimally invasive
spinal surgery. We have advanced diagnostic capabilities with board certified
radiologists, neurologists and neurosurgeons and fully trained support
staff experienced in the care of complex neurological and neurosurgical
Our modern neurosurgical suite contains the latest neurosurgical technology
and is staffed with experienced neurosurgical nurses and technicians to
provide the best possible patient outcomes.
Our affiliation with the neurosurgeons of
St. Joseph Health Medical Group-Humboldt ensures you have access to the best-trained, highest quality neurosurgical
care for you and your family.
What should you know about strokes, brain tumors and traumatic brain injury?
Diseases of the neurological system are a leading cause of illness and
death in the United States. Stroke, traumatic brain injury, brain tumors
and spinal conditions of all types affect millions of Americans each year,
and lead to significant disability or death. According to the
American Stroke Association and the
American Brain Tumor Association:
- Approx. 800,000 people in the United States have a stroke every year, with
about three in four being first time strokes.
- Stroke is the number five cause of death in the United States, killing
nearly 130,000 people a year.
- Someone in the United States has a stroke every 40 seconds.
- Stroke is a leading cause of long-term disability and the leading preventable
cause of disability.
- Nearly 80,000 new cases of primary brain tumors are expected to be diagnosed
this year. Approximately one-third of brain and CNS tumors are malignant.
- There are nearly 700,000 people in the U.S. living with a primary brain
and central nervous system tumor.
- This year, nearly 17,000 people will lose their battle with a primary malignant
and central nervous system brain tumor.
At St. Joseph Hospital in Eureka, we provide state-of-the-art equipment
and highly trained staff who are familiar with a wide array of treatment
options for neurological conditions.
What services do we provide?
Our services include comprehensive care for:
- Traumatic injuries of the brain and spine
- Multimodal treatment of brain tumors, including nonsurgical, surgical,
minimally invasive, and radiosurgical treatment options
- Spinal conditions including pinched nerves in the neck and low back, disc
herniations, and spinal tumors
What technology do we offer?
Our facilities include the most modern technology available to ensure rapid
diagnosis and treatment of your neurological conditions:
- Advanced imaging (LINK) - CT, MRI scanning, angiography, EEG and neurodiagnostic testing
- A technologically complete operating suite (LINK), with dedicated staff
and an array of modern equipment, including a neurosurgical microscope,
ultrasonic aspirator and intraoperative neuromonitoring and neuroimaging
- A full service modern post-surgical intensive care unit (LINK) with skilled